Portfolios >>
Men Women
Film

Friday 6 July 2012

HDR Photography, what is it about.

HDR photography, what is it about, well all I can say is that if done wrong it is simply ghastly.

High dynamic range, which if pushed foo far  looks unnatural

Photoshop can do the process for you but this is where the look can be a little strange.

So what alternatives and why consider HDR anyway.

I sometimes shoot in bracket mode, the function can easily be set up in either M mode or AV mode with most DSLR's.

This setup is what I will use for street photography combined with a fast shutter speed.

When I get back in I choose the image that has the best starting point taking into consideration areas of the other two images I think work well too.

If I come across a problem where the base image could not be pushed into the final look then a partial image overlay is an option.

The reality of shooting and using RAW files means is this is very rare, more likely in low light high ISO situations.

For those who want to explore a partial image overlay, this is how I would approach the task.

With the original image open bring the new image in (Photoshop) to the same file on its own layer, working with a layer mask set to hide the new layer, then with a low opacity brush, gently bring in the detail you want.

Hope you find this useful.



No comments:

Post a Comment