Portfolios >>
Men Women
Film

Tuesday 31 July 2012

Retouching, reshaping .. making good.


Not every image comes straight out of the camera just how we want it, retouching, reshaping .. making good is the last step.

Making good pictures is a numbers game, young photographers generally snap more while the more experienced approach with their own style, knowing what has worked before.


Personally I am not about making heaps of files without a design process, going from one shot to another for me is either a process of evolving the look or looking for a new look to compliment what has already been made. 

Simply speaking my way is "Shoot review shoot review" but don't dwell on the review bit ok.

This being said there are times when for one reason or another the only salvation is going to be some time in Photoshop.

The eye is driven to distraction, the first thing once I have a good base image is to look for the chids, yep that's my name for the adjustment layer working out distractions.

Next up retouching I am looking to clean up, enhance tones. This has to be done with some caution, enhancing is my way rather than wholesale change on an industrial scale. All retouching is kept to its own adjustment layer too.

Reshaping, this is where a slight tweak will make the image stronger, last week I modified a jacket shot on a client, we didn't have the perfect fit so out of camera it was fixed. There are no rules here, just deliver what the client wants.

Photoshop adjustment layers, use them if you are not doing so already.

No comments:

Post a Comment